I'm going to kill my boss. You see, I've been planning all year to go up to the mountains for a week or two, just to write/type. But he gives me all these big projects with big dealines, so I cancel my plans. I cancel all my plans, cause everthing has be done by next Friday, when my boss gets back from his week in the mountains. Grrr. How did I find out? Because the fax machine spilled all over the floor and I tidied it up like a good little office wench. More devious minds than mine suggested I note the number on his reservation confirmation and ring him with any problems that I might have. Heh.
Of course this means another weekend of work and study. I don't mind. I'm one of those people for whom being sent to my room or sent to coventry is usually a reward rather than punishment. Aside from work I have my own projects: the pages, the fic, scanning family photos, housework, taping Roswell for a dear friend that I should have taped weeks ago. That sort of thing. And catching up on a week's worth of tv because I've been working 12 hour days again and just crashing when I get home. I'm lucky if I manage to set the timer before I face plant on the pillows. Of course tonight I'll be mourning the exit of my beloved Dr Patrick Spiller on Casualty. Whimper. Sniffle. For several years I've watched/taped dear Patrick. I will miss looking forward to Friday nights/Saturday mornings - my prime Patrick viewing times.
- Thanking the man Behind Patrick Spiller
- The Iron Lady loses her marble head
- Schizophrenia May Be Tied to 2 Genes, Research Finds
- Fouling Our Own Nest
- Exposed: soldiers who trade in protected birds
- US quarrel with Europe more than just a tiff
Last night's Stargate. Well, I missed the start because I was scanning photos of a friend and I knew I'd taken some nice ones when we were in the UK (happy memories). I would have said when we were in Bath together but considering the number of people who misread my posts, well, that would be just asking for trouble - grin. Anyways, Wormhole Extreme. Why I watched this instead of the Michael Biehn snippets over on Arena I'll never know. A couple of points to consider:
- If you're a cheesy, cheaply made, badly written Sci-Fi show, best not to draw attention to that fact. The funny episode only ever worked once or twice on the X Files and only when the X Files was still considered classy entertainment.
- Do not bring back characters people loathed the first time around
- Do not sideline characters people actually like
- Two Deluises on screen is two Deluises too many.
- Do not mock the fans. They are your bread and butter and should be treated with the respect you'd give to any client.
- Do not pisstake other shows that do it better than you do
- Pink is not Teal'c's colour
Now I know it's the hormones that are making me hungry. I was all zen like at my desk, actually using the happier creative side of my brain for once, but I was suddenly really, really hungry for something sweet so I stepped out for lunch. Big mistake. Dummy spat in Starbucks after waiting nearly half an hour for a group of squabbling western oriental gentlemen to realise that Starbucks wasn't a barter economy. They carried on and on and on and I had to be back at my desk and I just went Xena on them. Needless to say after over twenty minutes of haggling and fucking about they finally placed their orders and took a seat. They did deserve it, you know. You should have seen the queue behind me. Ack, must be school holidays. Posturing young men everywhere. Give me a freakin' break.